Alone


As I sat on the white satin chair amongst many in a grand marriage ceremony, I suddenly realised I felt extremely lonely in the crowd of thousands of people. I wore the elegant red green Lehenga with a detailed golden work spreading through its length. It looked beautiful and so did all the people surrounding me. The sparkling glasses, glittering sarees, jingling bangles, overpowering suits, overwhelming perfumes and high-pitched laughter – it all sunk into me like a powerful  potion that was too strong to swallow.

The sea of thousands of people, in front of me, was shouting on top of their voice ‘Look at me, I look the best’.  It wasn’t just obvious in their appearances and attitudes but was also part of the discussion for majority of women. I wondered, if they had forgotten who the bride was. The clothes and the bodies they carried were temporary, bound to change.

And yet no one bothered to give a thought about what they really looked like.

The beautiful fragrances of perfumes, flowers, candles and the delicious food were swirling around us like a python slowly coiling around its prey, enticing him towards the attraction. The attraction was different for each of them. For some, it was the charming girls, for some it was the grand décor, for some the variety of rich fatty food and for some it was themselves- the epitome of beauty.

And yet no one cared about the one perfume that helped create these temporary pleasures-the sweet sweat of all the people that worked behind it.

I spoke to few aunties and uncles, spoke to grandmas, grandpas and then to some children. The set of questions remained the same. Some asked about my career, some about my children and some about my husband. They all wanted to know my future.

And yet no one knew their own.

The food was varied and more than enough. Plates were overflowing with desires and hunger. The round full bellies made their ways through the queue to reach every dish of every single cuisine. Chinese, Italian, Punjabi and Thai- all that you desire was presented to you, even the creamy ice-creams, Gulabjamuns and Kheers.

And yet no one cared to fulfill the true needs of their body.

My heart got heavier as I tried to find the meaning. I tried to find my way through the attack of the sensory overload.  Then I found something and smiled at myself. People around me looked same as me, regardless of their outfits. People around me thought same as me regardless of their actions. People around me spoke same as me regardless of their questions. People around me ate same as me regardless of their choices.

 As I sat on that white satin chair, I was elated with joy as I was still lonely but everyone around was now part of me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest

It's time to learn from my baby!