It's time to learn from my baby!


Its two’o clock in the midnight and I am sitting on my bed wide awake, milk bottle in one hand and a nappy in other. Looking at my baby sleeping peacefully on my lap, his breathing even and deep, I am now assured he is in his deep sleep. I seem to have achieved a momentary break in my relentless night schedule. Limited sleep with unexpected alarms has now propelled me into a highly alert state of mind. You might even say that I am ‘Awakened’.

And then a thought crosses my mind. What is really motherhood? Is it about changing nappies on time? Or about feeding the baby enough or making him sleep with your impromptu lullabies? I am sure it is something to do with teaching him the good manners or making him study the best possible courses to ascertain his future.  Or May be not. It has got to be all that plus a lot more. After all, it is the most highly regarded job in the world!

 Motherhood….the word  suggests an array of millions of passionate feelings and the force that comes with it. The force is so immaculate that it compels you to do certain things for your young ones which you wouldn’t do in normal circumstances. It is such a powerful phase of humanity that it actually makes you believe, anything is possible in this world- Anything is possible for your child. The sky is the limit for your love, for his dreams, and for number of small moments of joy that you both share.

Motherhood is a journey that takes you to different level of human passions and love for another human being. It is your real test as a good human being. And it definitely brings out the best in you. It makes you realize how great the experience of living as a human is.

Babies are so small, innocent and vulnerable but they make sure they are heard and catered for their needs. The best survival technique they have discovered- Crying! The very basic things of human life,  like holding an object in hand, eating food, sitting, crawling, walking are a very major milestones in a baby’s life. It takes tremendous efforts, energy and time for them to achieve each of them. Some might achieve early and some might achieve late but eventually all of them achieve their goals and that’s important. No matter how many times they fall, they try it again. No matter how many times they get hurt they still try it again. That’s because, somewhere deep down in their heart they know that it is the right thing to do and that they should never give up on it. Is there any such thing in my life that I know deep down in my heart, is correct for me and need to be pursued without fail?

I think I need to learn from my baby.

On last weekend, my friend and me arranged a play date for our babies. They both get along very well and were very happy to see each other when they met. As me and my friend relaxed on the couch with a steaming cup of coffee in our hands our babies started communicating with each other in their own special language. They required no introduction and were immediately buried in their own world of toys. Life is pretty simple for them, get along with whoever is in front of you and love them unconditionally.

Will I ever be able to talk to someone without any prejudices in my mind?

We watched they smile and blabber when suddenly they started fighting over a toy. The fight unsettled them and both of them started a full blown cry. We immediately swooped them up in our hands and distracted them with other little toys. The very disturbing teary cry was in a moment converted into a giggle. Something in the other toy made my son  laugh and then he was back playing with his friend smiling and giggling, showing the new toy.

How could they forget the misery that troubled them so much so easy? The last time I remember I had a chat with my best school pal was 7 years ago coz after that we had a fight, which supposedly even being adults is impossible to resolve by both of us .

I definitely need to learn from my baby!

Be it being smiley all the time or being creative with everything in your reach or being honest or be it simply welcoming every little small experience in the world with a big smile, babies are on the top of the game of life!

There are umpteen number of examples I can give here that will make us realize that there are so many beautiful qualities in a baby that we have lost over time. It’s time to relearn them. And I believe Motherhood is exactly for that.

We think we are raising the baby , we are teaching everything to him but really ….are we?They learn the basics whether you teach them or not, they grow and understand everything in the surrounding whether you teach them or not. The person who is really learning here is the mother or the father.

Since the time I have had a baby, I have stopped eating junk food and started cooking healthy stuff (not matter how much tired I am)so the baby learns to eat healthy, stopped using ‘bad words’ (Not that used them a lot earlier), stopped being angry, started having more patience, more kindness and started sleeping early, reduce parties and alcohol exemption(again wasn’t a lot before anyway). The experience has simply turned me into being a  better human being  so that supposedly “my baby learns from me”.

But really, who is learning here? Me or the baby?

The thought is mindboggling as the baby really begins  a Life version 2 where you get a chance to unlearn all the cliché’ concepts of life and fill the fresh breath of air in your lungs through the  baby’s eyes.

It opens up the secret of life from right within you! The moment you give life to a new human being, you start realizing your role in this universe. You are born to give birth and to love you children. It all comes from within like a river exploding through a blocked dam. It is so natural; it makes you laugh on your attachments towards artificial and materialistic happiness in this world.

There is no greater joy in this world than to make other human being happy, than to love other human being unconditionally, than to take care of other human being compassionately. And motherhood gives you a chance to do that. It gives you an opportunity to do something worthy with your life. It gives you a chance to do what you are supposed to in this miraculous universe.

Comments

  1. Beautifulll writing as always :-)!!!
    Lots of loveeeee xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lyd...you are my greatest supporter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thought!! Being parents could make us a better human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motherhood indeed is a re birth of a girl and a transformation which is a life changing...Vihaan is luck to have you as mom and you are lucky to have Vihaan. This is a great blog but I want to read more....How about fatherhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful writing coach Sayali!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest