The magic that I ignored till now


When my 4 year old son asked me “Mamma, is magic real?”

I instantly started replying “No, it isn’t….” and then I looked at his wide eyed innocence filled face. His eyes were dazzling with pure wonder, excitement and everything that he thought he didn’t know.

But is it really true? Does the magic not exist?

 Well I surely can’t give any evidence of witches flying on broomsticks or wands with special powers or even fairies.

But does that mean Magic does not exist?

Then I looked at his face again. He had beautiful chubby cheeks just like me but had a dimple on one of the cheeks just like his daddy. The shape of his eyes was like me but their colour was same as his Daddy’s. The little munchkin loved all the food that I liked but played all the games that his daddy liked.

What was all that? Was it the perfect combination of genes and chromosomes mixed with a predefined formula or was it unfolding of the beautiful magic that surrounds us?

He then went on to play with his toys and started role playing being a doctor. He checked all his toys and started prescribing medicines to them. And then suddenly he came running to me and asked,

“Mamma, my toys said they want you to play with them”

“Toys don’t talk dear”

“Why not?”

I scratched my brain in order to prepare myself to explain the difference between Living and Non-living things.

What was the difference really? Chemistry says that all the matter on earth was created out of 102 elements or so. So Living things had something more than non-living things? So what was the one thing that we all have but not the Non-living things that makes us self-sustaining?

Is it just the ability to convert the energy from our breath and food and convert it to a physical mass in our body and then again convert it back to kinetic energy in order to perform the actions that we do?

Or is it that alluring missing piece of this world- the magic?

“I don’t know dear. It all looks the same to me”, I said and then just pulled him close to me and gave a big tight hug.

The warmth and pure love radiating out of his body felt like a measurable physical object. It had a tingling sensation to it, it had a weight that engulfed my body, it had vibration of his heartbeat and a purest of pure feelings I have ever felt that are indescribable.

What was all that? Was it just an imagination of my over-emotional mind or the evidence of magic?

He looked at me and said, “Mamma, are you crying?”

I then said, “You know what, its Magic!”

Comments

  1. >>
    The warmth and pure love radiating out of his body felt like a measurable physical object.
    >>

    Liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest

It's time to learn from my baby!