Logic or Love?


I am a very logical person. I believe things can be explained as simple as 1+1= 2. If 1+1 is turning out to be something other than 2 then there is definitely an error.

Most of my childhood, I have been believing that it is possible to find logic, explanation and equations to everything in life. Apples fall from trees due to gravity, clouds collide up in the sky and pour down the rains due to atmospheric pressure and electrical charge difference in them, seasons change due to earth’s changing distance from sun, so on and so forth.

In fact, science has tried to define equations for the most complex events in our world and galaxies ranging from weather predictions to some far away galaxy explosions.

Every beautiful event in nature as well either has a hidden purpose or an explanation ; like flowers bloom to attract insects for pollination, ocean waves are generated due to gravitational forces from Moon and the beautiful white snowflakes patterns are generated due to atmospheric temperature and humidity differences.

So for me everything was explainable, logical. Until the moment I came across that one feeling which completely vanquished me.

 Love.

The feeling is so real and powerful but equally illogical and unjustifiable.

It compels people to act in certain way, change themselves, think selflessly and do bigger things than they could have ever dreamed. It makes you cry in happiness and laugh at your own sadness. It has the power to change yourself, change people and change world eventually!

What is this love? Where does it come from? How does it suddenly make an appearance within you and take control of your life? And makes you act completely against the logic in your brain?

Is it the first time their eyes met, her beautiful smile or his mesmerizing funny talks or the sway of her long black hair? Is it the way he looks at her or the way she smells that makes them this this illogical step? What is it exactly that gets the two people attracted to each other?  What does exactly happen? Is it the situation? The culture? The looks? Similar interests?

Recently, I saw a documentary on TV, where scientists had evaluated the logic behind love. It said that humans secrete a pheromone which help them choose a partner. Incidentally, siblings secrete a pheromone that repels them from each other. The looks play a major role in choosing a partner as well. It proves the person is genetically of a better breed without any manufacturing defects which can hamper future generations. The appropriate proportions of female body certifies her ability to bear more/better children. The strength of a male body signifies a security of family for females. So on and on. These rules are supposedly burned in the ancient human mind that we all carry.

But when we look around the world we live in today, there are all kinds of couples and all kinds of relationships which cross all these traditional boundaries. What brings them and keeps them together is a mystery. Most of them will say, It’s hard to describe, hard to put in words. It is something that is felt from inside which can’t be expressed in any humanly words. Hundreds of stories and songs have tried their best to describe it, but it still remains a mystery and the most important part of people’s life.

The whole phenomenon is so very illogical that I have started doubting my idea of logic. This completely irrational event is the basis for every relationship we ever have, the basis of most motives of human beings, is the cause of birth and evolution of better generations to come and could be the ultimate purpose of life.

Let us say we ask ourselves, why do we love the person we love in our life?

Think carefully. Can you name that one thing? Ok, can you name the combination of many things? Still not sure?  Well, there you go…it is unreasonably illogical.

If the world was to be explained in an equation, Love would be the biggest imaginary variable which could impact everything without revealing its true value! I guess, that’s why we have 1+1 = 3 instead of 2, in case of human beings!

Comments

  1. I will tell you something. Love is nothing but the feeling of happiness knowing most of your expectations can be fulfilled by someone. When you say you love someone, you are in reality hoping that the person will fulfill all of your expectations.

    Expectations of emotional support - you want to feel loved, attended, cared for, get spoilt, pampered etc, this makes you feel good and powerful at the end, but you would call it love.

    Expectations of financial support, where you want to be taken care of, joining classes, shopping, trips, night outs, restaurants, movies and other lavish lifestyles.

    Why do fights happen between people who love? When their expectations are not met and they realize that the time invested in that person might go to waste, which is why we fight to change other person as per our expectation, and when other person does as per expectation we do not hesitate making up with a kiss.

    Think more and you would know the logic behind love is simple, it is bunch of expectations.

    Even when someone says my love is selfless and without expectations, they say it to satisfy their ego of being a great person.

    I would like to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree to your point to certain extent, when it comes to the relations of today's urban, young generation. Although, Expectations are a by-product of love. Love also brings sacrifice, patience and unconditional caring for the other person.

      Delete
  2. I read this with interest, and it's not a question that can easily be answered.

    Firstly, do we not have to define love? Even that is difficult as different people have different ideas of love. Then there is loving someone and being IN love with someone, then infatuation, lust, the list goes on..

    Why do we (I?) sometimes fall in love with people completely inappropriate? Why, when love hurts so much sometimes do we (I?) keep looking for it, carry on opening ourselves to potential pain?

    I don't know, it's a long road, people fall in and out of love. To me though, it is all consuming. Amor vincit omnia, we say, but sometimes conquering is not a good thing at all.

    Nevertheless, I will keep looking.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply Awesome! Again the words have been sequenced to its best... Talent!! :-)
    From my perspective, only title needs to be re-sequenced... Love or Logik!
    Follow your heart and the brain will follow. Greatest inventions happened because of love... love for machines, stars, freedom... following passion that came from heart. Newton, Galileo, Mahatma Gandhi, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and name goes on... they all followed their passion. Passion always comes from heart. No vision ever comes from Brain but its strategy.
    Is passion love or logic?
    I love my wife, the most important person in my life, because she takes me for granted :-).. Even though she earns well, she still shops on my credit card (every second day a new dress or shoes or something arrive ;-))... but when I ask her about price, she says 'Dont worry about money... Be happy... You have one and only one wife'... So innocent lady ;-)
    I love my daughter because she feels me as most important person in her life.. If she is unwell or having a bad dream, she wakes me up at even 2 AM in the morning (not her mom)...
    I love my parents because I feel confident that there is someone who's always there to support us in any form of life. No matter how I look or whatever I do...for them I am the most handsome and innocent boy (note! not a man) in the whole world :-)
    I love my friends because they make me feel relaxed with silly non-sense talks/comments/slangs... watch movies, night outs, making fun of each other... but protect me when someone else trying to do same with me...
    I love my boss (very straight-forward man) because he trusts me for my work...
    I love your blogs because it feels good to see what I feel into words... Humans do think alike!
    So I believe... Love first and then you can find lots of reasons for it... Reasons may be logical or illogical that depends upon interpretation.
    Love, emotions, feelings… most precious gift to all humans… Otherwise, Robots were not developed by humans but the other way round…
    However, one question I always have... Does love really need defined relations?
    I don't know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nitin, your comment in itself is a blog! Quite Impressive. The question you have raised is valid. I think the relationships are defined by humans. Love has no boundaries.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest

It's time to learn from my baby!