Bright Red Dress


I like wearing bright red dresses, especially with white polka dots on it or a cute little bow in the middle. I also like withered Denim Jackets, ripped jeans or the high heel boots that make the loudest sound when you walk.
The only problem with all of the above is, the moment I get closer to these in a shop, I make a very descent U turn and pick up a plain blue jeans instead. You ask why?
 
Well, isn’t it obvious? The cute little red dress doesn’t suit my age and the ripped jeans “supposedly” does not suit my personality. The high heels are out of question as I am already among the tallest females that live today (Exaggerating a bit, but its true).
 
So, I choose the medium length decent tops and trousers that redefine my personality to be the same old boring self. I confirm the fact that I am who I have been, I should be or who I am supposed to be.
What makes me think that I am a certain personality type?
 As a child, all of our looks are designed by our parents. The kind of dresses we wear, the hair styles we have, the jewellery and the shoes forced on us- none of it makes sense to us as we grow up. I always hated my child personality. It was simple, plain and downright stupid. Not that I am criticising my parents for this. But it just did not suit the kind of person I wanted to be. I would have very much loved, colourful flowy frocks with matching hair clips and white pretty shoes. But all I got was, two long plaits held tightly at the back of my head with a constant red hairband on the top, old fashioned frocks and brown sandals. I did sport my brother’s bulky watch on my hand many times, which made me look even worse.
In spite of this, as I grew up, my choices changed, I got more freedom in choosing my own clothes and I experimented a bit. Although, there is something always in my mind, which does not let me go beyond the boundaries that have been sketched around me when I was growing up. Some clothes or accessories would never make it to my wardrobe just because my mind has been ingrained to hate them. I have been programmed by my parents, surroundings, society to like certain things and dislike others. This in turn has also restricted my personality to be certain way than the other.
Wonder what would happen, if there were lessons on dressing styles in school and then we could choose our electives at the end!  Or even better, how the world would be if everyone was given absolute freedom to choose their own clothes right from childhood and nobody ever judged them for their choice.
Well, I am sure you have already imagined the most hilarious, nonsensical and unacceptable costume ideas in your mind by now.
But the point is, why are they nonsensical?
Our world is very bigoted when it comes to judging people on their appearances. We typecast people too easily and too fast just because they choose to wear clothes in a particular fashion.
In fact, we get news about the ill dressed and well-dressed celebrities in our daily “most sensical newspaper”. I often hear girls commenting on other girl about the latter’s ridiculous outfits or parents having a go at their adolescent kids for wearing “outrageous” (unacceptable by them) clothes or the society in general putting restrictions on the way its members should dress.
I mean what is the big deal here? A person who wants to be the kind of personality will always be that no matter what he wears. You cannot limit his intentions/behaviour or actions due to his clothes. I understand that at certain areas, we need to have restriction on clothing like, schools, military, police. It is more for the better management of larger groups and classifications. But what about the rest of us, who in spite of being free are still caged within their own mental blocks?
The aboriginal people living in woods might have much more liberal view on dressing than we do. They wear the bare minimum clothes for the protection of their bodies and have no prejudices for anyone’s appearance due to clothes or due to not wearing clothes. The human body is accepted as it is, without the outer layer of disguise.
But as they say, the mind is a slave to habits. Once it’s habituated to see people in a particular way, it cannot accept the other. I think I will still wear the plain blue jeans as my primitive choice but an occasional indulgence in the ripped one should not hurt. Should it?

Comments

  1. Very true sayu!! I always wanted to have a pair of leather pants,jacket and hand gloves. I wanted to wear them and drive Harley Davidson bike :p funny isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Peru! Its comments like these that give me the reason to write! You go girl!

      Delete
  2. Get the jeans. Get the boots! If you're tall, be proud of it. Don't shrink down to other people's expectations of you. You are obviously beautiful so if it suits you to wear high heeled boots and make a noise then express your personality. We never know what the future holds so the day might come when you look back and wish you had done so while the sun shone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful thoughts. Completely appreciated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest

It's time to learn from my baby!