If you are happy and you know it ...clap your hands!


Horray….. its 5.30 in the evening and its Friday! Happiness in the air, party on my mind and pizzalicious taste on my mouth! What an uplifting feeling. I can’t believe I am able to achieve this unbounded, buoyant happiness every single Friday! I don’t need any books or speeches or courses to preach me about mantras of happy life. It just has to be a Friday evening. How cool is that?

But the only question is why does it always have to be this time of the week?

Is it because I don’t have to do office work for the next two days? Is it because I get to meet my friends? Is it because I think I deserve a break after slogging for the 5 days? Is it because I think I earn good money and here’s my opportunity on spending it on food, shopping or movies? Is it because I know the whole world has a holiday for next two days and so it is almost a festive atmosphere in the air?

I really don’t know, but it feels like my happiness is so much decided by the external factors of my world. What if I wasn’t working? Will I be happy on a Friday evening? Or will I be happy forever?

I doubt that. The moment you get complete freedom, you no longer value it. The initial happiness instantly becomes a habit and you start getting bored soon. Happiness is like a sine wave. You only get on the highest point of the amplitude after travelling through the lowest point - sadness. There is no way you can ever achieve a straight line on the happiness. And the most important factor that plays role in this wave is ‘Time’

They say that Time heals everything. Well, it’s true, as you ought to come back on the positive amplitude from negative after a certain period of time interval. Isn’t this true for everything in our life? 

When our stomachs are empty, even a simple sight of food starts creating happy thoughts in our mind but the moment our bellies are full we no longer feel the urge or the happiness of looking at the delicious food. We love going to Party’s, we love travelling, we love adventures, we love shopping and what not. However, everything seems to be fitted with a time limit. The moment that time is over for us, the activity no longer holds our interest. Be it gadgets, activities or even people for that matter. It seems like we all are simply riding on a big sinusoidal wave, some have higher amplitudes, some have lower whereas some have higher frequencies than others. The science clearly plays role here too.

Although, there is one thing that clearly defies this science. Choice. You always have a choice in life.

You can choose what you want in your life and you can also choose what to feel in every situation of your life. Not everything is decided by chemicals in your emotions , not everything is decided by hormones and not everything is decided by others. You are the boss of your mind. If you want to feel happy, so you will be! All the things in this world that are designed to provide us with the feeling of happiness are only working on the senses that our brain perceives and not what our true soul might know. I am not saying that I believe in soul. But if there is a soul, who knows what it would be like to know the truth and to see the world with an eternal happiness that surrounds us. For now, I just have to play by the rules. Be happy and then be sad, coz unless you do, you can’t get the next slot of happiness! Cheers!

Comments

  1. Hahaha well said. It is still wednesday today, but we can still be happy as friday is not too far away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sayali .. I exactly feel the way you have written ...completely agree on the sinusoidal nature of feelings, their varying amplitude and frequencies.
    If we had all 7 days off and the freedom to do what we want ...that would define our neutral state of mind ..and then we would require to do or get something much better that that ...to trigger the happiness wave. Its like raising the bar higher.
    In fact, dont you feel we are getting more and more happier each passing year .. with improved lifestyle, stronger relationships with our near and dear ones, etc. ? But all that is immediately becoming a baseline for us. So we always strive to get something even better than the present.. to start riding the happiness wave.
    As you rightly said ...instead of depending on external triggers...we can be happy by choice.
    Keep writing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake up call!

The Forest

It's time to learn from my baby!